Monday, June 15, 2009

Breaking Free


Breaking Free

You ever feel this way? Trapped in a rut, a cycle, a pattern? You keep doing the same things the same ways and expecting different results? They say the definition of Insanity is exactly that, but not sure that’s what Webster says, but it is insane literally to think we can continue to behave, act, or feel the same way and expect things to be different or change.

I wonder how many people we have to hurt, upset, or push away before we get that? Some of us never really do get it. We blame it on others, or we justify ourselves by saying that’s just the way I am, or people don’t get me, or we make excuses and reason within our own minds that we are not to blame or we don’t have a problem. I have to admit, I have a problem. That’s half the battle we face, admitting the problem is us. Once we do that, we can begin to take steps to change our attitude, feelings, or actions.

It doesn’t matter if it’s relationships, marriage, parenting, dating, workplace, leadership, or whatever. We are never going to have healthy feelings, relationships, or overcome our problems, until we change and think different, act different, and have a different approach or attitude and if we do that, we will begin to feel different, look at things differently, and probably act different and handle situations, problems, and things differently than continuing the downward spiral of doing the same things the same ways and never changing anything, but making things worse.

I know this is a broad subject and each of us may have different problems or issues, but if we continue to hit the repeat button in our lives and never change our habits, behaviors, attitudes, or actions then we are all pretty much stuck on the same ride, going round and round and never getting off. If we are going to break free, stop hurting others, stop pushing others away, and stop hurting ourselves, we are going to have to take the same issues, problems, habits, and feelings and handle them differently that we normally do.

I wish I was writing today about something I’ve already accomplished or overcome, but truth be told, I am writing about this today because I am struggling with it myself. I want to change my attitude, behaviors, and habits. I want to break free of doing the same things the same way and expecting different results. The only way me or you are going to have different results is if we actually start doing things differently. Change is difficult. But it begins with us, one issue at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time.

I encourage you to see God and His word. Pray daily about the issues you struggle with. Seek wisdom and guidance from God and His spirit. Enlist the help of a trusted friend who will keep you accountable and encourage you, yet push you to do the right thing. If it’s serious, don’t be ashamed or afraid to seek counseling from a Pastor or Counselor who can help you begin the process of overcoming your issues, problems, and struggles. Break free, I know I don’t want to be a slave or prisoner to my bad habits, negative attitudes, or repetitive poor decisions anymore. I need to change for my own sanity, health, relationships, and spirituality. I hope we all can do just that.

“So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.”

Romans 7:21(NIV)

No comments: