Thursday, July 05, 2012

Amish Paradise

Amish Paradise

Many people are still or have been the past several days in West Virginia and surrounding states dealng with the loss of power.  With the loss of power for many comes no water or only cold water, loss of phones, internet, and the pleasures we enjoy of tv, computers, video games, and anything electronic.  Many have lost food in their freezers or fridges, and many other inconveniences.

With this said, my family and I spent the last 5 days without many of those luxuries, but the key there is luxury.  There are many things we take for graanted like a/c, fridges, hot water tanks, tv, and computers.  We also, realize how much we depend on rely on electrical power.

Now, I'm not going to lie, I have no desire to be Amish or live as a mountain man, but at the same time I think the break away from many things was a needed break for some, a reminder of who is in control of all things(God), and maybe a wake-up call to others to get their priorities in line.

I'll admit I missed checking my fb or keeping up with local/national news or what's going on in the world, and I missed hot showers and my DVR/dish/tv.  However, at the same time, I also found myself not griping or complaining about it, and also reflecting and focusing on other things.

I think I was reminded that God has TOTAL POWER.  He is the source of all power that we need in this life.  That He controls the wind, the storms, and anything this life has to throw at us and not only does He have control over all these natural things, He has power to protect us, sustain us, guide us, and strengthen us.

I also realized from time to time we need a MEDIA FAST.  Take a break from tv, video games, computers, the internet, iphones, ipads, facebook, email, or whatever it is that you keep you nose in. Whether you take a break for a day a few days a week or whatever, take a break and enjoy something else like taking a walk,  going fishing, reading a good book, catching up on your to-do list you've been neglecting, or spend some extra time with God through study, prayer, or serving extra at church.

Finally I realized there is a difference between NEEDS and WANTS.  Believe it or not Air condition is a luxury not a necessity, just because many of us have grown up with things and seldom did without doesn't make them needs.  For years and years many people have to live without electric, or electrical powered fridges, stoves, etc....and even yes life did exist before computers and internet.  This time without electric was a great time to thing about what's really a need or what is a want.  Nothing wrong with wants, but never make them needs.

I am thankful we got our power back, I'm thankful we were kept safe from the storms, and thankful for all the workers who worked around the clock to restore power, phones, water, and remove trees and storm damage.  Most of all I am thanfkul for a a God who is always there for us.

Luke 8:25 NIV
“Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”

No comments: