Monday, July 06, 2009

Broken


BROKEN
You ever feel that way? I do. Broken. Life has a way of breaking our hearts at times. Our circumstances, situations, and problems. Relationships, marriages, children, dating, careers, divorce, death, sin, struggles, etc…the list is long of the things that can leave us feeling alone, desperate, irrational, overwhelmed, sad, depressed, anxious, guilty, angry, and broken.

What do we do when we feel this way? Where do we turn? I wish I had an easy answer, I wish it was an easy fix because there is not much worse a feeling than to feel broken. The answer is God. However, the answer may be easy, but accepting the answer and allowing it time to work in our lives is the difficult part. I know God loves me unconditionally. I know God wants what is best for me. I know God is the ultimate source of strength, wisdom, compassion, comfort, and guidance. I know God created me to bless me and protect me.

Just because we know God is there and He loves us, that is not going to keep us from hurting or being broken. We live in an imperfect world with imperfect people(including ourselves), with imperfect relationships, imperfect marriages, imperfect jobs, and imperfect lives. Sometimes when we pray to God or are so overwhelmed with grief, hurt, pain, or sorrow we go to God and we want an instant fix, I know I do. I want to stop hurting and I want to stop hurting now! But, reality is, it takes time for God to heal our lives, but really it takes time for us to allow God to work in our lives so that He can heal us. Sometimes the pain is too big and it just takes time for us to see God through the pain.

There are no quick fixes when it comes to being broken, no matter the circumstances we face in life. The good thing about being broken is there is no place to go but up. Sometimes when we are broken, we are finally at a place where God has our undivided attention and once He has that, He can begin the healing process. Whether our brokenness is our fault or someone else’s or a little of both, when we are broken God finally has an opportunity to grow our faith in a mighty way. It’s like breaking a bone. The break hurts and sometimes there is more pain as the Doctor has to re-set the bone, maybe put in some pins, and then place on the cast. Sometimes you have to hurt for awhile before you can be healthy again. As a bone takes time to heal in the cast, so our hearts and lives need time to heal in the cast and care of God’s love.

I hate being broken-hearted, I hate being patient and giving things time, but I love the fact that no matter how bad I feel, how much I hurt, and how tore up life can get, that God never ever leaves me, even when I feel unlovable. He is always there and when I’m ready to listen, participate, and obey, He will being the process to healing me. Then we move from broken to restored.

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
Psalm 34:18(NIV)

No comments: