Monday, July 13, 2009

The Other Half of the Battle


The Other Half Of The Battle

We like to say that to people don’t we? “Knowing is half the battle”. We say that to the alcoholic, the addict, or the person with chronic or habitual sins or problems. Becoming self aware or finally being honest with yourself that you have a problem might be “half the battle”, but that doesn’t make the “other half” of the battle any easier. I can know I need to lose weight or finish a project, but just because I know or realize something doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. The saying should be “Doing is the other half of the battle”, it may even be ¾’s the battle.

I have some things in my life I’ve been struggling with. I know they are struggles. I know they are bad qualities, I know they affect my relationships, I know I need to change them, and I want to change them. Now I’m taking the steps to actually change them. With God’s help, others help, and my own effort I’m going to defeat these bad qualities in my life and be a better person. You can too. We all have things in our lives we need to change. We all have bad habits, personality traits, negative qualities, or self-inflicted problems that we are ignoring, justifying, making excuses for, or honestly might be self unaware of. We need to know about them, be aware of them, and admit we have them, but then we must take the steps necessary to change them, defeat them, or overcome them.

Where do we start? Well knowing and admitting is a start. Then sharing it with God and asking for His help. Maybe finding a person or people in your life you trust who will keep you accountable and not only pray for you, but help you with whatever it is you are struggling with. Read books and articles and things that might help give you tools or steps to take to overcome or defeat the negative things in your life. If it is more serious like drugs, alcohol, or something illegal or deceitful maybe seek out professional help. I think all of us know once we acknowledge we have a problem or a struggle, we know what is not working, we have to find the things that will work to help us not only win the battle, but win the war.

It may be small or big in your life. Or it could be small in your mind, and reality it’s bigger than you want to admit. We have to stop lying to ourselves and admit we need to make some changes. I know I’ve still got a lot of work to do to, but I’m changing. I can feel it, and my attitude is changing and my desire and will to become a better person and be the man God wants me to be is strong than ever.

Whatever it is you are ignoring, putting off, justifying, pretending doesn’t exist, or being “self-unaware” about, it’s time to fight half the battle of knowing(which is the easy part), the “other half of the battle” is the tough part, doing something about it. If you want to have a healthy relationship with God, with others, and be healthy with “self”, do whatever it takes to fight the battle and win the war to a better you.

“Therefore prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given to you when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
I Peter 1:13(NIV)

No comments: