Monday, February 01, 2010

Easily Distracted


Easily Distracted


It doesn't take much for me to be distracted. My mind races 100 miles a minute, I'm always 3 conversations ahead in my head, so it's easy for me to lose focus if I don't concentrate and make an effort to focus on things.


Focus is so important in life. It's very easy as a Christian to lose our focus be distractions. We can choose the wrong friends and lose our focus. We can be attracted or date or even marry the wrong person. We can accept the wrong career path or take the wrong job when our focus in not right. Distractions are everywhere and in every aspect of life.


I have changed jobs in the past month and am working 3rd shift(midnights) and it has been a major adjustment to my body, my schedule, and my mind. I'm working when my body says I should be sleeping and I'm sleeping when my body is telling me to be away, which is probably why today I can't sleep. Because of the life changes it has been hard for me to find the time or energy to exercise. I have been used to going to the gym 3 times a week and now i've been lucky to workout once a week.


I have been doing a daily bible reading, devotional reading, and prayer time every day, but since I began my new schedule, it has been difficult to maintain that, I'm lucky if I do that a couple times a week. It's very easy to become distracted and lose focus if we do not stay in the word, and spend regular time talking(praying) to God. We need more than attending church on sunday mornings. We need study, reflection, and personal time with God. If we lose that, stop doing that, never start that, etc...we are never going to mature or grow in our faith. Better yet, we are going to slowly fall away, lose interest, and defintely lose our focus.


We need focus and our focus needs to be our personal relationship with God. The world is full of distractions so it is up to us to decide what our commitment to God will be. No one can do it for us and no one will make us do it. We can have accountability partners and people to encourage us, but ultimately it's up to us. We are responsible for our own salvation and maintining, growing, and keeping our faith.


it's very easy to be distracted by all kinds of excuses: work, kids, job, school, hobbies, stress, problems, the list is endless, but make time as I am trying to do for God's word, alone time with him, and daily communication with Him.


"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful."

Hebrews 10:23(NIV)

No comments: