Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Getting used to it

GETTING USED TO IT

Do you know what it's like to feel used? Someone took advantage of your kindness? quietness? generosity? sincerity? It's not a good feeling be get used and it shouldn't be a good feeling to be a user.

Husbands use their wives, bosses use their employees, parents use their children, wives use their husbands, co-workers use co-workers, children use their parents, employees use their employers, members use their churches, people use God, and it goes on, the list is endless of how people can take advantage of others just to get what they want, because they are selfish, lazy, unconcerned, or don't consider the feelings of others.

It is not a healthy cycle to be a user and I'm not talking about drugs, though I think getting into the habit or taking advantage of others and using or exploiting them is a powerful drug of control, need, and power. How do we break this cycle?

I don't have all the answers, but I know we need to start putting ourselves in the shoes of others and how we'd feel if we were treated the way we treat others. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it? I think there's a golden rule about it? I think we can start realizing that type of behavior or attitude is not healthy and we must always guard ourselves to not become this type of person. I think we need to start trying to have more of a servants heart instead of having the bad attitude that someone owe's us something. I think we start looking for the welfare of others instead of thinking we deserve special treatment.

I don't know what the perfect answer is for you or me. I know that we must be careful not to become a user of people. We must be used by God, we must let God use us to help others, and we must be an example of what it means to serve others not be served. No matter our last name, popularity, title, bank account, or position in life.

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."
Philippians 2:4 (NIV)

No comments: