Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Good Intentions

GOOD INTENTIONS

I know "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", but it really does make sense. How many of us this time last year were making all these resolutions and as the year ends we've forgot, gave up, or never started?

How many people said they'd stop drinking or smoking or start going to church or lose weight or read the bible more? I have to say I kept my resolution about losing weight, I lost 20lbs, last spring, but the bad news is I've gained it all back since I moved back home to WV, but enough about me, this is about you, haha.

Seriously though, many of us reading this today might need to take another look at our commitment level, especially when it comes to God, our faith, our prayer time, devotional time, bible reading, or christian service. Some of you may not even know what some of those items are, 2007 is the year to change that.

Believe me, I have not arrived, I have my moments of great spiritual breakthrough and then my moments or sinful relapse. Right now as I've been in transition and looking for a place to work, live, and worship and I find it hard to do the things I need to do in order to stay healthy spiritually, so I am constantly in awareness that I can do better, I need more ,and that God is faithful, so I strive, I don't accept myself where I'm at, and I push forward, sometimes stumbling.

I can intend to do good until the cows come home, but if I don't actually act upon my intentions, they are nothing more than empty words, broken promises, and false statements.
You and I've got changes we need to make in our lives this year, let's vow, commit, and standfast in doing them. You may need to stop partying, doing drugs, getting drunk every weekend, or sleeping around because you have not self-worth. It may simply be you need to get more involved in church or actually start attending. Maybe you need to lose weight or fix a relationship. Or you simply may just need to get serious about your personal relationship with God.

I don't know your intentions, but let's move past new year's resolutions and empty words to oursleves and do something about them, not just at the beginning of a new year but evaluate ourselves on a regular basis so that we may commit our ways to the Lord and grow, prosper, and be blessed and have the peace of God in our lives.

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice or your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;"
Psalm 37:5-7a(NIV)

No comments: