Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hold the Towel

HOLD THE TOWEL

You may have heard the expression "Throw in the towel", which is what a fighter's manager or coach does when the fighter is beat and can't continue to fight. You see it in boxing, ultimate fighting, wrestling, and you see it in life.

People "throw in the towel" and give up in life whether it's on a relationship, a job, a problem, or God. Someone becomes a Christian and as soon as they face something bad, they are ready to give up. Some people face tough times in life because of their lifestyle, attitude, or actions and some choose sadly to give up on life itself and choose to end their own life.

I know I can look back in my life in recent history a few years ago when I got out of ministry and I was ready to throw in the towel on my ministry calling, even my faith. I was ready to quit going to church, stop being a christian, and walk away from it all. I thought God couldn't use me again and no church would hire me again. I thought I couldn't overcome my mistakes.

Thankfully, I didn't. I persevered, I lived with the consequences, I learned from my mistakes and in some ways I'm probably still paying for them and living with them, but I held on to the towel, I didn't give up, I didn't give up on God because He never gave up on me.

I don't care what you go through in life: an affair, divorce, abuse, jail, death of a loved one, addiction, or an out of control lifestyle, as long as God is still God and you still have air coming through your lungs and nostrils you have HOPE! You're alive and you have a choice to change.
Many of you reading this today may be ready to throw in the towel on God, yourself, and maybe you've even contemplated suicide or have become addicted to something? Maybe you're depressed, being too hard on yourself, or maybe it seems that your in too deep. NEVER!

God will always forgive you, even when others don't. There are always friends who will love you when others turn their backs. There is always a church out there who will accept you, even when others judge you. It's never too late to turn your life around. Hold the towel.

Don't give up, don't throw in the towel. Take it one day at a time, learn and grow from your mistakes, admit your wrong, fix and make right what's in your power to change, and trust and hope in God to heal your heart in time. Hold the Towel!

"Be joyful in HOPE, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
Romans 12:12(NIV)

No comments: