Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hell yeah?

HELL YEAH?

Catchy title eh? You know me trying to find creative ways to cuss, not really. My point today is pretty simple, do you say "Yes" to Hell.

I'm a big believer in the fact that everyday we are living our lives and determining our eternal destination. Eternity with God(Heaven) or Eternity without God (Hell). Most of us reading this whether we are real serious about our faith or not, know that someday this life will end and we will end up in one of two places. The problem is we get so caught up in this life we are either avoiding, pretending, or forgetting that hundreds, thousands, and millions of choices and decisions we make are preparing us for eternity whether we want them to or not.

We say "Yes" to Hell when we choose to not live for God, walk away from our faith, or ignore a commitment to God. You don't have to curse God or not be saved to do this. There are people who go to church every week and people who say they "believe" in God, yet their lives and lifestyles speak otherwise. They may say "Yes" to God in church, but their lives are saying "Yes" to something else. I know I've been guilty!

I don't want to say "yes" to Hell. I want to take my faith serious. I want to live everyday as a blessing with the notion that it could be my last and that how I live matters. What I do with my time and how I spend it matters and has eternal consequences.

Does that mean I'll be perfect? No. Does it mean I won't still mess up and say or do the wrong things? No. However, it does mean that I make a conscience effort everday to acknowledge God in my life and strive daily to live this life for Him. I want to say "No" to Hell and "Yes" to Heaven everyday.

Life isn't a corny joke like I made with the title of this article, eternity is serious business. One day, some day, me and you will come face to face with Eternity. At that point, no excuses, justifications, or explantions will do.

I hear people say, "How can God send people to Hell". God never sends people to Heaven or Hell, we choose our destiny. You choose everyday when you get out of bed the type of person you're going to be. Just like you decide what type of parent, husband, wife, mate, student, athlete, boss, or employee you are going to be, we all decide one way or the other how we are going to be.

Our faith and eternal destiny is no different, my life is my choice. How do you choose? How are you living today? Where are you headed? I say "Heaven Yeah".

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve"
Joshua 24:15a (NIV)

No comments: