Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ramblin man

RAMBLIN MAN

"Lord I was born a ramblin man, trying to make a living and doin the best I can"
-Allman Brothers

Many of you over 30 may remember that classic song, I've always enjoyed it, but the words almost seem to fit my life in the recent years. I have rambled along and have been blessed to see alot and do alot in my life the past decade or so.

I've sailed halfway around the world and saw many great places in the US Navy, I've been to alot of great sporting events, and seen alot of great sites across our country. I've worked with some great students in ministry, fell off the wagon a time or two, and made alot of mistakes that I've learned great lessons from.

I've lived in VA, Ohio, WV, NM, & now Indiana. I've been happy, sad, mad, glad, and everything in between. I've made alot of good friends, shed good and bad tears, I've had my heart broken, and I've been in love. I've missed the boat a time or two with a couple girls and probably avoided divorce.

There are things in my life I wish I could take back, do over, and do a different way, but at the same time, I know I've been blessed, and had some great experiences in my brief 34 years. I've got to do more than most people do in a lifetime.

I read a story yesterday about an old lady who went back to college at 87 and said anyone can grow old, but not everyone lives. Despite my periods of inconsistency, bad decisions, and mistakes I've had great moments of passion, joy, fun, and precious memories. I don't regret those moments and the blessings God has given me.

I've never claimed to be "holier than thou", but I've always tried to live a life where I've been honest with God, myself, and others, even despite moments of struggle and unknown, I've tried to live out my faith, learn from my mistakes, and love others unconditionally.

I am looking so forward to see what God is going to do in this ramblin man in the future. Life is a journey, enjoy the trip. Enjoy God's mercy, freedom, grace, and experiences in life. Ramble a little, settle down when you need to, and remember life is a marathon not a 100-yard dash, though life goes by so quick it seems.

"I run in the path of your commands, Lord, for you have set my heart free."
Psalm 119:32

No comments: