Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The little things

THE LITTLE THINGS

One thing I've struggled with over the years is enjoying the little things in life. Stopping to smell the the roses and enjoying the small yet vital blessings that take place in life on a regular basis. One thing that i've missed, and I forgot about, but I'm got to experience again staying at my parents temporarily is at night when I am laying in bed is I can hear the crickets, frogs, and night noises of living in the country.

To the average person that's not a big deal, or might be silly, but to me, it's precious. It's simple, peaceful, and a reminder of God's creation, a slower pace, and a sense of feeling settled. I've not felt that way for a long time. Sometimes we need things to slow us down so we can learn to appreciate the little moments, and things in life, how many times do we get up go to work and do our same daily routines day after day, week after week, and month after month, and we don't stop to kiss our children, or tell our spouses we love them, or to tell a friend what they mean to us.

How many times do we forget to stop and watch a sunset, or listen to the birds chirp, or listen to the water running in a creek or stream, or something simple. It took a few crickets and some frogs to remind me of how I've missed alot of little moments and simple blessings. I've appreciated listening to those little creatures sing me to sleep, to hear the rain hitting the roof at night, to go out in the woods and enjoy the trees, the leaves, and the wildlife. To go visit my friends and spend the day with people I don't get to see a lot and the list goes on and on of the little moments I'm trying to appreciate. What are you missing? Are you too busy? Too stressed? Too focused? Are you rushing through life and missing your family? friends? God? Are you missing the little things in life? Take a break, listen, take a look around and enjoy.

"On my bed I remember you, Lord; I think of you through the watches of night...My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 63:6 & 8

No comments: