Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Driving Miss Daisy

DRIVING MISS DAISY

Ok, I admit, I watched this movie and I actually liked it. What's wrong with me? I like an old lady movie? Many of you who know me, know I collect Jimmy Stewart movies and I like older classic movies, but I'm talking about a movie about an old lady and her driver here.

The movie came out in 1989 and I was in high school and I would have never thought I would have liked this movie, but it has such a decent story and Miss Daisy (Jessica Tandy) and her Driver (Morgan Freeman) develop a relationship over 25 years of doing life together. Let's be honest, most movies Morgan Freeman are in, are decent, but I thought this movie was for old ladies and I wouldn't enjoy it, but I did.

I've found as I get older and am willing to try things, there are alot of things I've missed out on because I was stubborn or already made a judgement in my mind that I wasn't going to like something, only to find out that I was wrong.

I know most of us don't like to admit we are wrong, but alot of times, and just about everyday we are wrong about something or somebody in someway. We condemn someone because of their past or a mistake, only to ignore our own. We don't like new music, because it's not old. We don't like an author or a movie because someone we trust doesn't like them. Whether it's politics, religion, relationships, food, or life there is alot of things we are avoiding, judging, missing out on, and wrong about simply because of our own selfisness, ignorance, stubborness, or prejudice.

I wouldn't eat chinese food until I was in my early 20's cause I thought I wouldn't like it, but after I tried it, I try to eat it once a week if I can now. I always loved vegtables, but there were many I wouldn't try because I thought they'd taste bad, but I love brussell sprouts, okra, and assparagus (though I'm probably spelling them wrong). But, unfortunately, there are things in life we are missing out on, that are bigger than the four food groups or a decent movie. We are missing out on God. We are missing out on God's blessings, hope, salvation, grace, and love.

We won't try church because we know someone who's a christian and they are a hypocrite or we went to church with your grandma when we were little and it was boring and a bunch of old people. We think if we go to church or become a christian, we'll have to stop having fun or living, and it's so sad. Many people live their lives and never know God personally or experience the life-changing relationship they can have with God.

Many people go to church for years and refuse to change? They want a 1970 God in a 2006 world. They want a God who submits to them and not them submitting to God and His ways. Why are we so afraid of change? Why are we so afraid to step out and risk anything for God?
I don't know where you are today? I don't know how old you are or how long you've been running, avoiding, or shoving God away? I don't know how long you've been going to church, but you've missed God?

Give God a try, not religion, but relationship. Start participating and offering something positive in your church instead of criticism, complaints, and judgement. Stop running from God and give him a try. Stop trying to run God and let God run you. Don't treat God like a food, a movie, or place. Try something new. Try surrending your life to God, try seeking God personally, try learning, listening, hoping, striving, loving, accepting, and forgiving.

"Do you think because he's such a nice God, he'd let you off the hook? Better think this one through from the beginning. God is kind, but he's not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change." Romans 2:4(The message)

No comments: